Monday 14 May 2012

Creamy Avocado Pasta


I had two avocados to use yesterday that had become extremely ripe (i.e. too soft for cutting up for salads or sandwiches or any sort of thing like that), so I thought my only option was guacamole. I LOVE guacamole, but there's only so much you can eat... and I was out of chips for dipping. So I did some quick research and turns out, avocados are the perfect vegan sub for creamy pasta sauce. Who knew? I was taken by the idea immediately and started to prepare perhaps the quickest dinner of all time. I must admit, my particular sauce recipe is not vegan, but it can be, easily. I added a tad sour cream and parmesan sprinkled on top, but those are two optional ingredients. I suggest using whole wheat pasta as well to up the healthy factor just a bit.


Ingredients
2 extra-ripe avocados
A handful of fresh parsley, cut up (picked right from my plant!)
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 a red onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup sour cream
Sprinkle of fresh parmesan cheese
Salt & pepper

I also suggest using lemon juice (perhaps as the sour cream sub... the acids in both will keep the avocados from going brown quickly)

Instructions
1. Add all ingredients to a blender and puree until creamy and smooth... I used a magic bullet and had some difficulty, so I added a bit of water a couple times until it could blend easier
2. Add delicious avocado cream sauce to a pasta of your choice.
3. Top with desired garnishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment