Sunday, 5 February 2012
Cream of Broccoli Soup
I thought I'd switch it up for you guys and post an actual meal instead of dessert for once (god knows you can't ALL be dessert lovers). So tonight I decided to make cream of broccoli soup, which is exceptionally easy and takes next to no cooking skill, but in case you're still hesitant, here's whatcha do:
1 large head of broccoli, chopped
3 ribs of celery, chopped
2 peeled potatoes, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1-2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp parsley leaves
2 bay leaves
5 cups of water
Optional: I used the rind of my used-up parmesan and simmered it with the vegetables for some added flavour
1/2 cup cream
1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1. Add all vegetables & garlic (& parmesan rind) to a large pot with water. Add the bay leaves & spices. Bring to a boil.
2. Once boiling, turn the heat to low and cover, simmering for about 25-30 minutes.
3. Remove the bay leaves & rind. Turn off the heat and allow to cool down a bit before adding the mixture to a blender (perhaps a bit at a time, according to how big your blender is) and puree the soup. Add the pureed soup to another pot.
4. Mix the puree with the cream & parmesan over low-medium heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring well to ensure it's all incorporated.
5. Serve while hot with bread & butter :)