Sunday, 3 June 2012
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
This pie was supposed to be strawberry rhubarb MERINGUE pie... which would have been soo delicious. But, unfortunately, I have #meringueproblems. However there are much worse problems than meringue ones.... especially when meringue can just be replaced by a close second... my good friend, whipped cream. Apart, scrumptious.. together, unstoppable (much like me and my girlfriends).
On a happier note, this was my first fruit pie and it turned out to be really good. I'm eating some right now. Next: PEACH.
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, cubed and cold
2-3 tbsp ice water
3 cups sliced strawberries
3 cups chopped rhubarb
1/2 cup cornstarch
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup honey
*Optional: Whipped cream
1 cup whipping cream
2 tbsp powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1. In a bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and salt. Add the cubed butter and with a pastry blender or two knives cutting in opposite directions, cut the butter into the mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
2. Add 2 tbsp of water and mix with your hands until the dough forms a ball. If too dry, add another tbsp of water.
3. Kneed the dough 5 times, wrap in plastic and chill for an hour.
1. Preheat oven to 400*F.
2. In a large bowl, combine all pie filling ingredients and mix well (should look pasty)
3. Remove crust from fridge and roll it flat on a well-floured surface. Dock the crust in a 9" pie plate by pressing along the edges or using a fork.
4. Fill pie crust with filling and bake for 45-55 minutes, or until set.
*TIP: if the outer crust browns too fast and is getting too dark, cover it with tinfoil to prevent it from overcooking.
If making the whipped cream as well, beat all ingredients in a medium bowl until whipped cream forms peaks. Serve on warm pie.
Posted by Emily Sine at 12:54